Monday, June 9, 2008

Ka Prow Pan-Asian Bistro

When Mother's burned down last year, I remember checking their website, hoping they would rise from the ashes as soon as possible. One of the entries on their website recommended eating at Ka Prow while Mother's was out of commission. So I looked it up, saw that the restaurant was way up on Howard Lane, and figured I'd never actually go somewhere so seemingly far away. On trips up I-35, I'd occasionally see Ka Prow when we passed and think about how we should try it someday. That day finally came last Saturday. My husband and I traveled up to Ikea to purchase a few things for our new place, and we needed somewhere to eat that wasn't too far south, since we'd be meeting some friends at Trudy's North later that night. It was the perfect opportunity to try something new.
Ka Prow is located in a shopping center right off of the Interstate. I have to admit my low expectations going in. I wasn't sure there'd be much we could eat. Boy, was I wrong. Almost every dish on the menu could be made with tofu. For an appetizer, we had tofu spring rolls that came with an amazing peanut sauce. It was thicker than I expected, and it tasted slightly sweet. I had the Pad Puk, which was a dish of tofu and assorted vegetables. My husband had the yellow curry with tofu. I dare say this was the best Thai food I've had. Everything tasted light and fresh. We both ate everything on our plates, leaving no room for dessert.
If you're looking for some excellent Thai food, and you're willing to make the trek up I-35, I highly recommend trying Ka Prow.
Ka Prow is located at 1200 W Howard Lane. If you're headed north on I-35 from downtown Austin, the restaurant is on the right side of the Interstate.

No comments: