Monday, May 19, 2008

Disc golf

My husband and I, thanks to my brother's encouragement, have started playing disc golf. It is so much fun and a great way to get some outdoor exercise! I've driven around many times and seen the baskets at Zilker Park and Pease Park, but I never thought to try it myself. The great thing about disc golf is that it doesn't require a huge investment to play. You can expect to spend about $20-$25 for the two essential discs: driver and putter. Once you get really into it, you can buy other discs, like a mid-range driver, but those aren't totally necessary for the amateur. No carrying case is needed, although it is handy to have a backpack for your discs and a water bottle.
If, after reading this, you are inspired to try, I recommend buying your discs from a place like Play It Again Sports or Disc Nation, where the employees can help you pick out the right discs. There are so many discs to choose from, and it helps to have guidance. Also, ask for a quick throwing lesson. I highly recommend buying brightly-colored discs, as they will be easier to find in the bushes. Before you go, check out these websites: Texas Disc Golf and Professional Disc Golf Association. Both have excellent course information.
Whatever you do, don't call it a Frisbee.

No comments: