Thursday, April 17, 2008

Scholz Garten

If you don't like seeing tons of burnt orange, move along to another bar. Scholz Garten is within walking distance of the University of Texas, so you'll see a lot of Longhorn fans--especially if it's game day. I've only been to the place twice, and both times it was a different experience. My first visit coincided with a UT men's basketball game (the game was ending when we arrived). There was barely enough room to elbow my way to the bar. Somehow we grabbed a table as a party was leaving. Once we were seated, we were able to enjoy ourselves, drinking beer in clear plastic cups. My second visit occurred on a Sunday afternoon, and the place was nearly empty. We had our choice of tables. I was surprised to see a veggie burger on the menu--if I ever go back for food, I'm trying it. We split an order of fries, which were quite tasty. It's been a while since that visit, so I don't remember much about the fries, other than they were delicious.

If you like draft beer, this is your place. The old (possibly original) wooden bar hosts several taps of good quality beer. Of course, the old standbys--Lone Star and Miller Lite--are available.

There's an outdoor patio, but when I was there, it was way too cold to sit outside, so I'm not sure what it looks like. I just know it exists. The inside section is covered in pictures and memorabilia, making for an interesting atmosphere.

Scholz Garten is an Austin original. Even if you're not a Longhorn fan, this place is worth visiting.

No comments: